AURA is an add-on module for EASE Standard that allows you to perform advanced acoustical investigations. This is made possible by AURA´s hybrid ray-tracing engine as well as its multi-threading capability, which considerably reduces calculation times for full impulse responses.
It was developed in cooperation with the renowned Institute for Technical Acoustics at RWTH Aachen University. The AURA name is an acronym for Analysis Utility for Room Acoustics.
The new version 4 of the AURA module
Based on a new 64-bit core, AURA 4 is capable of using the entire RAM of 64-bit Windows operating systems. This memory improvement lifts the RAM limit for AURA mappings and for AURA results used for auralization. It also makes AURA 4 significantly faster. Calculation times are shortened by up to a factor of 2-3 for typical projects, when compared to AURA 3. As a result, the new version facilitates faster and more accurate project designs.
With AURA 4 it is easier for you to:
- Compute mappings and auralization results with high resolutions.
- Calculate projects that contain a large number of loudspeakers or complex speaker systems such as line arrays and steerable columns.
- Create auralizations for medium-sized to large projects. Binaural and B-format results computed with AURA response are not limited anymore.
- Select groups of loudspeakers for AURA mapping recombination.
- Achieve a more realistic simulation of reflections and reverberation with the new S-curve. For most projects it is difficult or impossible to determine accurate information about the scattering characteristics of the surfaces. That is why the new default S-curve of scattering coefficients developed in cooperation with RWTH Aachen is important. Results will be closer to reality and less tuning of the scattering coefficients should be necessary.
Additional functionality improvements compared to AURA 3 are:
- In the recombination step after the calculation run, not only Loudspeaker Groups but also Objects can be selected now as well.
- Files used for auralization, such as BIR and B-format can now be generated without creating RSP files first.
- Defining the output folders and file names was improved as well.
Maintenance updates and support for AURA version 3 will end on July 31, 2023.
Version 4 of the AURA module includes the following new resources when compared to AURA 3:
- 64-bit engine: AURA Mapping and AURA Response auralisation results can use all RAM available on 64-bit computers. This memory improvement lifts the RAM limit that typicaly occured in AURA 3 calculations for large projects. As a result of this, larger areas, more loudspeakers, and a higher spatial resolution can be considered for AURA simulations.
- Shortened calculation times: calculation times are shortened by up to a factor of 2-3 for typical projects.
- New default S-curve of scattering coefficients
- Select Objects and Groups of loudspeakers for AURA mapping recombination
- BIR and B-format files can be generated directly
- Defining the output folders and file names was improved
- Version Comparison
Feature / Version EASE JR EASE Standard AURA Module* EARS Module* InfraRed Module** Extensive databases
Loudspeaker and Wall Material
Complete set of modeling tools Vision
Architectural Rendering Module
Import and Export
DXF and SKP drawing files
Eyring and Sabine
Based on Eyring or Sabine Reverberation Times:
Direct SPL, %AlCons, STI, RaSTI, Pressure Level, Clarity Ratios, Total SPL, D/R Ratio, Critical Distance, Arrival Times, Loudspeaker Overlap, ITD (Initial Time Delay) Gap, Loudspeaker Aiming
Open GL Viewer
Direct Sound Auralization Speaker Base, SpeakerLab and Material Base
Entry and creation of Loudspeaker and Wall Material data
Ray Tracing capatibilities Ray Tracing Movie module Mapping on Room Surfaces Local Ray Tracing Ray Tracing Impacts
Local reflections study
Local Decay Times
Quick check RT at various spots in the room to verify Accuracy with Eyring and Sabine provided RT times
Mapping with Reflections Acoustical Probe
Measurement microphone simulation:
Reflectograms (EFC/ETC displays), Waterfall displays, Pulse Directionality (hedgehog) displays, Schroeder Reverberation Times, Modular Transfer Function, STI Intelligibility Projections, Impulse Response files
Ray Tracing routine
Feature / Version EASE JR EASE Standard AURA Module* EARS Module* InfraRed Module** Hybrid Ray Tracing routines
Best approach for high quality calculations at reduced Time
Full multi-threading support
For high speed calculations of impulse responses
AURA Mapping and AURA Response auralisation results can use all RAM available on 64-bit computers
Calculations according to ISO 3382:
Early Decay Time (EDT), Reverberation Time (T10, T20, T30), Lateral Fraction (LF) & Lateral Fraction Coefficient (LFC), Clarity (C80), Definition (D, C50), Sound Strength (G), Center Time, Echo Criteria for Speech & Music, STI & Articulation Loss
LF and LFC
Lateral Fraction and Lateral Fraction Coefficient
Echograms and Histograms
For detailed investigation of impulse responses
Consideration of Scattering coefficients
Response files in Ambisonics B-Format Auralization
Full Off-line and Real Time
Different noise signal generation Mix diverse sources for auralization
E.g. to simulate effects of masking noises
Binaural Auralization Infrared transmitter/modulator database S/N investigation Cable length effect
* Can be combined only with EASE Standard. ** Can be combined with EASE JR and EASE Standard.
- How can I check which version of the AURA module I am currently working with?
There are two ways to check which version of the AURA module you are currently using.
From within EASE:
From your AFMG Download Portal account:
Please note: Maintenance updates and support for AURA version 3 will end on July 31, 2023.
Upgrade AURA 3 Module -> AURA 4 Module
Upgrade AURA 3 Module -> AURA 4 Module
Includes 110 EUR discount. Time limited offer >
1 User Key for an existing license ID
This upgrade can be purchased for any AURA Module with a version below 4.0.
The End User License Agreement for EASE 4 applies.